FOOD FOR TEENS: SHEEP & SHEPHERD



One of the most popular chapters in the Bible (if not the most popular) is Psalm 23, as kids we were taught to recite it and declare it over and over again but as I grew older and pondered on this chapter, I discovered that the main theme of this Psalm is often misunderstood, so I would like us to critically analyze it and see the deep wisdom and power behind this Psalm. 

Psalm 23:1, “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.” The kind of Shepherd a sheep has would always determine the amount of supply that sheep is exposed to. Just like the child of a rich father or the child of a poor father would always be directly affected by the wealth/poverty of their parents even so a sheep and his Shepherd. When we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior we declare that the Lord is our Shepherd, we are declaring that the creator of the universe is our Shepherd, the one who made the world and everything that is in it. Jesus declared in John 10:11; "I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep." So as long as Jesus is our Shepherd we are guaranteed of abundant supply. 

Psalm 23:2, “He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.” Now he goes further to describe how this relationship between sheep and Shepherd works, "he makes me" means the Shepherd instructs and the sheep obeys. "He leadeth me" tells us that the Shepherd determines the direction of the sheep. So as a believer it is one thing to declare that the "Lord is my Shepherd I shall not want" it is another thing to allow Him lead and guide you because without this I'm sorry to say even though He's your Shepherd you might still "lack". There will be no effect of Jesus been our Shepherd if we don't let Him direct the affairs of our lives (be our Lord and Master). How does the Shepherd lead the sheep you ask? John 10:3-4 "To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice." The sheep must 

(a) Know the voice of the Shepherd; this we can only do because He has gone before us, He has revealed Himself to us through His word, so we must acquaint ourselves with Him when we study His personality which is the living word, in the Bible, we begin to get a grip of who is and how he functions by the help of His Spirit in us. 

(b) Hear His voice; Now we must desire to know His mind and wisdom in all things and this we can do by our constant communion with Him in Prayer, worship, study and meditation of the Word all in our private time with Him. This is how we are led by the good Shepherd into abundance and peace. 

Psalm 23:3 "He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake." In constant fellowship we discover that there's restoration and we are constantly led in His perfect will for us. Psalm 23:4 "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." To be dead means to be separated from life and remember Jesus told us that "He is the Life", this means as long as we are connected to the source of all life JESUS, we have life, sometimes we go through life and it seems as though the good Shepherd is not present that is what it means to "walk through the valley of the shadow of death" but remember Jesus also told us that He will never leave us nor forsake us, which was why David roared "I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;" because he was comforted by the word of God. 

Psalm 23:5 "Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over." The reason why it seems like we are in the valley of the shadow of death is because we begin to experience a lot of enemy activities, but you must understand that the reason for that is because God is preparing a table for us in their presence, He's showing His mighty power in the midst of adversity. That's why patience is a key ingredient in our walk with God. James 1:3-4 says, "Knowing this , that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing." Remember verse 1 "I shall not want". 

Psalm 23:6, "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever." After You have understood and walked in verse 1 to 5, like David you can boldly declare verse 6 because that becomes your experience all the days of your life. That is why it's so beautiful to walk with the good Shepherd; the one gave His life for the sheep so that you can find rest for your soul. 

God bless you, see next month.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'TS NOT WORTH IT : STOP RESISTING GOD IN YOUR LIFE

FOOD FOR TEENS :THE INTENTIONALITY OF GOD

IT'S NOT WORTH IT: STOP LOOKING BACK